Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Constant Gratitude Leads To Happiness

A while back I bought some Gospel Study Journals for Kendall and I. There is a section in it called Gratitude Journal and there is an introduction page to this section that I want to share with you all. It made me, cry, think, and humble.

"It has been suggested that those who keep a record of the things they are truly grateful for feel more content. President Henry B. Eyring stated, "Whatever we get soon seems our natural right, not a gift. And we forget the giver. Then our gaze shifts from what we have been given to what we don't have yet" ("Remembrance and Gratitude," Ensign, November 1989)"

"In fact, being ungrateful is an offence not only to God but also to those around you. Doctrine and Covenants 59:21 teaches, "And in nothing does man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments."

"We easily forget that we came into life with nothing. The recipe of happiness is very simple; rid yourself of your notion of your rights. If you think about this you will see that the greater part of all indignities, chagrins, and humiliations you have endured arise  from certain ideas you entertain about what is due you. The great miseries of life come from you believing you are not getting the things you thought you should have."

"As you rise each morning, think about what you have to be thankful for, remember the surprising good fortune you had, the unexpected favor you received, or the unforeseen love, sympathy, regard or appreciation you are shown. Think of a great book or the beautiful sights, pleasant odors, delightful food you have experienced."

"And on those days you can't think of something to be thankful for, read your gratitude journal to be reminded of the many blessing you have received in your life. In other words, "Count your many blessings name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done."

This was a very hard thing for me to realize and think about. Those who have been through many refiners fires, as many of us have, feel that we deserve for things to go right to go our way for just once in our lives! And as things unfold we find too many times that a lot of things just don't work out that way. We become bitter, closed minded, hard hearted, offended and will blame others and even God. When above it sates to " rid yourself of your notion of your rights" it struck a cord with in me, a very sensitive one but instantly the Spirit confirmed the very truth of this to me.....and I cried. I cried long with remorse and humility and repentance. Am I as Job yet??? NO. Am I blessed and beyond??? YES....I will do well to remember this from here on out.

5 comments:

Kendall B said...

Thank you sweetheart! I love this post. On a day where everything is going wrong, this is my silver lining.

Momnerd said...

Didn't even know you had a blog, saw this post on FB and thought I'd check it out. Turns out, this is exactly what I needed today. The last two days I have had lots of thoughts like the one you mentioned. We got some news that has my stomach in knots and there are just so many things stressing me out. I have had the thought more than once: "Just when I think things are looking up, this happens!" This is exactly what I needed today. Thank you so much!

Julie B. said...

So very true. Maybe if more were truly grateful there would not be criticism, not forgiving, kinder words, seeing ones own faults instead of finding fault, truly noticing the world around us instead of seeing all that is wrong, and on and on. Thank-you for this reminder.

Cristy said...

Wow. I'm going to read that post a few more times and let it sink in a bit more. I feel humbled. Needed some of those words myself. xoxo

B*N*B said...

thank you all for your comments, I appreciate it and I love you all ;-)